Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Tale of Two Cookies

So, there is this story of the marijuana plant that probably was born somewhere in Bihar. The final step in its metamorphosis, in this particular story, was Bhaang (one of the many variants of Marijuana). This finally found its way into something everyone calls a Bhaang cookie. Two of these Bhaang cookies found their way from the government bhaang shop in Manikarnika Ghat, in Benaras, into the inside pocket of my lovely alternative looking olivegreen slingbag. It sat inside quietly waiting anxiously and wondering what its destiny will be. The bag got on to a train with me to Calcutta. It waited. It also made a trip to Shantiniketan. Still in waiting. Then the bag got onto a flight, still hanging on my shoulders. We reached Bangalore. After spending 8 days in Bangalore, it finally made its way with me to Prakash's house and on the evening of 27th January, 2010, was officially consumed. The effects thereof cannot be really condensed into words. All I can say is it was a wonderful planet we were on... Galaxy 7 Sector X33 to be precise. I also could see Interplanet Janet's kaleidoscope eyes, her checked shirt. We danced, govoreeted, chin-chined, bong'd out. The garden was fascinating, the world emerged in full format. We whispered secrets to the guava tree. And as I was installing my iMac in Prakash's house, the only two words that came out of my mouth was cookiecookie (the password I have been using for almost two decades). Is it coincidence or some kind of mystery that the cookies found their pixel counterparts? We have still not figured it out. Some sort of serendipity disguised in nine yards of existential fabric.