Wednesday, July 15, 2009

atime&aplace

Excerpt from the message on the DVD package -

"In order to understand Kerala and its diverse culture, I was asked to make a film. I stayed in Kerala from March to July and over 4 months shot over 35 hours of very diverse and exciting footage from the ritual dance of man’s transformation to God to the orchestra of five instruments, from the communist toddy-tapper to the rather philosophical floating man. There was no script, no screenplay, no storyboard. Only a mind open to receive, accept and learn, a camera and a few hundred tapes. In the process I was exposed to a land with a rich culture, real people leading real lives and a landscape very close to my heart. In the end, what I have is 9 short films from the heart of Kerala. I hope the films will communicate a sense of place and more importantly a sense of realism that is rare in these fast-changing, materialistic times.

This film is for my friend Gigi, without whose help none of this would have been possible."