Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Day of strange serendipitous events (Pt. 3): "Why?"

What a day? Serendipity on Mt. Hinterland with the introduction and felicitation of the young Nitin Gopi, film-fanatic, English-humour friendly, young 21-year old version of my good friend JP. Serendipity # 1, so Shanks him and me are sitting in my room, Sai Baba working the chillum to perfection and Shanks says he plays with Hypnotribe and Nitin says he has been to one of their gigs and Shanks says he was the flutist, violinist and Nitin goes, "Fuck" and remembers how he loved Shanks the most in the band. A cauldron of kinpa. Suddenly the images meet, the trajectories connect and the heart loses a beat. Later over dinner, he asks what movies I have done and I mention Kunigunda and suddenly Serendipity #2 kicks in. He says he has seen it and describes the scenes in the film. Of how Mark walks towards the camera in jump-cuts, and suddenly he remembered the point of contact from KP's facebook page and from there mine and from mine and introduction to me through pixels and for him also an introduction to Kiarostami from my favourite films section... woah, I couldn't believe it. Shocking even more for him, young boy out in the Himalayas looking for the point of least resistance and voila, torrential proverbial rain pouring. Two more minor offshoots from the evening, one when I said I didnt like Kill Bill and Shanks and Nitin go "Why?" in unison and in similar high-pitched frequencies, and two those four Sony batteries looking up at Shanks from the same angle, those close-call frequencies disrupting the monotony of forward thinkers. A time for silence and concentration. Listen and watch closely, there are many intervals God uses to come into contact with humanity and their ridiculous ways. Sensational, really...but I wonder. Why?